Young Investigators: The Project Approach in the Early Years (Early Childhood Education Series)
Young Investigators has been expanded to guide today's teachers through the process of conducting meaningful investigations with young children. This fourth edition of the bestseller begins with a new chapter, "How Children Really Learn," which summarizes insights from mind-brain education research, showing how experiences firmly rooted in children's curiosity and interest build intellectual capacity. The book then introduces the Project Approach with step-by-step guidance for incorporating child initiation and direction into curriculum while simultaneously addressing content standards. A new focus on critical Teacher Decision Points uses fresh-from-the-classroom examples to show how teachers think through project work. Also, for this edition, the emphasis on STEM experiences has been expanded to include STEAM.
This book makes project-based learning possible with younger children (toddlers through 2nd grade) who are not yet proficient in reading and writing, but capable of deep, focused thinking. Throughout, readers empathize with teachers' concerns, witness how they find solutions to challenges, and feel the excitement of children during project work. Young Investigators is appropriate for teachers new to using the Project Approach, as well as for those who already have experience.
- Examples of projects from child care centers and preschool, K-2, and special education classrooms.
- Instructions for incorporating standards and STEAM skills into project work.
- A variety of experiences to help children connect to the natural world.
- Toddler projects that reflect knowledge from recent mind-brain research.
- Tools for integrating required curriculum goals and for assessing achievement.
- A Teacher Project Planning Journal that leads teachers through the major decision points of project work.
- Full-color photographs of children engaged with projects.
- A study guide for pre- and inservice teachers (available at www.tcpress.com).
Author: Judy Harris Helm, Lilian G. Katz, Rebecca Wilson
Publisher: Teachers College Press
Release Date: 2023-06-23